We are now taking booking for the flu vaccination for patients over 65 years of age and those over 18 years of age who are in a category the Department of Health class “at risk”.
This year the flu strains present in the vaccination will be:
- A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
- A/Switzerland/9715293/2013 (H3N2)-like virus;
- B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus;
If you are over 18 years of age and fall into any of the following catergories please book your flu vaccination.
- aged 65 years and over
- 18 years to under 65 in clinical risk groups
- pregnant women
- living in long-stay residential or care homes
If you suffer from any of the following conditions, the Department of Health suggests you have the flu vaccination:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease at stage three, four or five
- chronic liver disease
- chronic neurological disease, such as Parkinson’s disease or motor neurone disease, or learning disability
- splenic dysfunction
- a weakened immune system due to disease (such as HIV/AIDS) or treatment (such as cancer treatment)
- all pregnant women (including those women who become pregnant during the flu season)
Entitled Children and Young People under the age of 18 years will be given the vaccine via a nasal spray.
THIS VACCINE HAS NOT YET BEEN RELEASED TO PRACTICES THEREFORE WE ARE UNABLE TO BOOK PATIENT’S INTO CLINICS YET – AS SOON AS WE RECEIVE THE VACCINE WE WILL OPEN THE CLINIC AND PUBLISH THE AVAILABILITY ON OUR WEBSITE (hopefully at the end of Sept ’15)
If your child is aged up to 18 years of age and in one of the categories as defined in the adult flu conditions they are also entitled to a flu vaccination.
If your child is born between 1st September 2010 to 31st August 2013 they are also entitled to a flu vaccination.
If your child is in school years 1 and year 2 they will be offered the vaccine at school. We are not commissioned to give this group of children the vaccine.